Valentine's chocolate cake.
Forgot to get a present? Is your partner’s love language food? Our Valentine’s chocolate cake is guaranteed to make your partner drool.
For the cake
170g caster sugar
130g self-raising flour
40g cocoa powder
For the filling.
3 tbsp golden syrup
3 tbsp cocoa powder
*If you want to have the filling on top of the cake also (which we recommend) then double the ingredients for the filling and put half in the middle and half on top)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan
2. Melt the butter if not soft and mix with the sugar.
3. Mix in the eggs.
4. Add the flour and mix until the butter lumps have dissolved.
5. Add the cocoa powder and mix until the mixture is brown.
6. Tip into two separate round cake tins. If you only have one, then estimate half the mixture and bake one at a time. If one is larger than the other, use the larger half as the bottom.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cooked through. Test the cake is cooked using a skewer or knife. If there is mixture left on the utensil then it is not cooked.
8. When both the top and bottom of the cake are cooked, leave to cool on a cooling rack.
9. Meanwhile, melt the butter for the filling into a pan on a low heat.
10. Add the golden syrup and cocoa powder and keep stirring on a low heat until all of it has combined and there is no butter left on the top.
11. Once mixed, leave to cool either on the side or in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
12. Once the cake is cool and the filling has cooled enough that it is thick and won’t spill over the sides but is easy to spread, begin spreading on one of the cakes using a spatula.
13. Place the other half on top and enjoy!