luscious lemon drizzle cake.
for the cake.
100g softened butter
1 tsp baking powder
6 tbsp milk (of your choice - I use almond milk and it works just the same)
175g caster sugar (I have used demerara sugar also and this works)
175g self-raising flour
grated rind of 1 lemon
for the icing.
juice of 1 lemon
a sprinkle of rind
2 tbsp icing sugar (this is approximate, depending on how much juice you use from the lemon)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan oven 160C.
2. Butter the base of a tin of your choice - oblong works best. Or use baking paper.
3. Mix all of the cake ingredients together with a spatula or handwhisk. Ensure all of the butter has melted and the flour has dissolved.
4. Add most of the lemon rind and mix.
5. Tip the mixture into the tin and smooth with the back of the spatula
6. Put in the oven for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
7. Meanwhile, mix together the lemon juice and icing sugar until you make an icing that can drip but isn't too runny.
8. When the cake is golden brown and cooked all the way through (poke a skewer or a knife into the cake and if wet cake comes out with it then it needs more time.)
9. Wait for the cake to cool before drizzling the icing over the top.
10. Sprinkle the cake with the remaining lemon rind and it's ready to serve!